Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brownback: Governor’s Cup for Kansas college basketball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brownback: Governor’s Cup for Kansas college basketball?

Brownback said Wednesday that it would be great to do something similar with college basketball, but added that he would want to make sure Wichita State University gets to be part of the competition.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/art...#storylink=cpy
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Originally posted by TheYeti
    That idiot has bigger fish to fry. Like figuring out how to pay bills with no money.
    Yes he does. But i do like this line of thinking.

Comment

Self won't do this , has nothing to gain.

Comment

First thing I agree with
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Would love to see it happen!

Comment

Will never happen
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Here we go again! Just so the record shows, this time it was not started by WSU or its fans. Why won't it stop? The horse has had enough!

Comment

I like beating this horse. The beating causes KU folks to squirm and want to look away. Shocker fans may just be bored of watching the dead horse get pounded, but if you look at it the right way, the discussion becomes fun again.

The regular season game isn't going to be scheduled anytime soon, but I just feel like the post season matchup is going to happen sooner rather than later. KU and WSU are going to be regulars in the round of 32 of the NCAAs year in and year out. The odds of getting matched up there aren't great, but they only get better if each makes the Sweet 16, Elite 8, etc.

Sometime in the next 5 years it is going to happen. Just my gut feeling. 1 vs 4 or 2 vs 3 in the Sweet 16. Any combination of 1-4 in the Elite 8. Somehow it will happen if both teams continue to be top 15 programs.

Speaking of guts... when it does happen, I'll have butterflys in my stomach all gameday. Winning that game would be soooo glorious. Losing would be soooo painful.

Comment

I'd just like to say that this is the basketball forum, so please stick to talking about the issue at hand. If you disagree politically with other issues about the governor or this state's politics aside from having state universities all play each other in basketbal, feel free to start up a thread in Off Topic.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                    Speaking of guts... when it does happen, I'll have butterflys in my stomach all gameday. Winning that game would be soooo glorious. Losing would be soooo painful.
                    Everyone seems to think that KU would be the team with all the pressure. I'd argue, saying that WSU would have as much, if not more pressure. Imagine the narrative if the Shockers didn't play well and lost by double digits. Wichita State fans would be the ones to never hear the end of it from the Beaker types. "See, we told you that we are better. This is what happens when you play a REAL team. Yadda yadda." Now, I would expect a Gregg Marshall team to battle hard and not lose by double digits. If you take out the last game in Omaha, the last seven WSU losses have been by 1, 2, 4, 3, 3, 2, and 5, many of those with a tying/winning shot in the air at the buzzer.

As for K-State, my wife asked me why the Cats were okay to play Bradley but won't play us. I explained that Weber and adminstration want to cling to the myth that Silo Tech has the #2 team in the state. If they played the Shockers, they would find out very definititively that the myth is exactly that...a myth! Gregg would name his score in that one.
                    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                      Here we go again! Just so the record shows, this time it was not started by WSU or its fans. Why won't it stop? The horse has had enough!
                      Maybe the horse is really saying, "Bring it on!"

I think this is great, especially coming from a person of statewide prominence person with KU and KSU credentials. It may even get a little bit of national publicity now, too, which is even better. The more that fans of the other guys have to hear people asking why this isn't happening, the more they're likely to get worn out defending the lameness of their regimes.

Having said that. though, I just don't see how the logistics work in practice given that the Chickenhawks and Mildcats already play each other twice a year. A round robin would be cool, but it seems odd to ask them to play each other a third time and have it be the only one that counts for this purpose. And it's unreasonable -- not to mention farfetched on the order of the moon falling out of the sky, or the notion that man controls the climate (calling King Canute!) -- to ask them each to play WSU home and home every year so the number of games will come out even.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

I think this is great, especially coming from a person of statewide prominence person with KU and KSU credentials. It may even get a little bit of national publicity now, too, which is even better. The more that fans of the other guys have to hear people asking why this isn't happening, the more they're likely to get worn out defending the lameness of their regimes.

Having said that. though, I just don't see how the logistics work in practice given that the Chickenhawks and Mildcats already play each other twice a year. A round robin would be cool, but it seems odd to ask them to play each other a third time and have it be the only one that counts for this purpose. And it's unreasonable -- not to mention farfetched on the order of the moon falling out of the sky, or the notion that man controls the climate (calling King Canute!) -- to ask them each to play WSU home and home every year so the number of games will come out even.
                        We could all play a home and home if we were in the big 12. That sounds like the best solution to this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

What if the round robin were played at a neutral court, then the second game that KU and Kstate play each year would rotate. So one year they would play in Manhattan and the neutral site. The next they would play in Lawrence and the neutral site. It would certainly make it less likely that either of those schools jumped onboard, but the conference could allow that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            What if the round robin were played at a neutral court, then the second game that KU and Kstate play each year would rotate. So one year they would play in Manhattan and the neutral site. The next they would play in Lawrence and the neutral site. It would certainly make it less likely that either of those schools jumped onboard, but the conference could allow that, right?
                            No sane program would give up a home conference game.

Comment

My approach would be no round robin style tournament with a "champion." There seems to be no way to do it with a 3 team round robin and have a clear winner every year. I understand the reason to have a marketable "event" to bring more attention and enthusiasm to the match ups, but I think this can be done without having a cool name attached to it.

Just have Wichita State play KU and K-State every year. Alternate one home, one away every year, with the return being flipped for the following year.

Have Wichita State vs KU be played during the 24 hour of basketball tip off for next year, then have Wichita State play K-State as one of the last non-con games before conference play starts for both teams.

Flip it back and forth if need be, alternating early and late non-con games for the match ups every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X